Friday, September 6, 2013

Autumn on the Horizon

"A person's fears are lighter when the danger is at hand"
Seneca the Younger

The old Roman's were fairly sharp dudes when it came to basic observation.  Never a group to let the obvious go unnoticed.  Ask anyone who played sports, the worst stress you feel is when you are sitting on the bench waiting for your first shift, or at the start line waiting for the gun to go.  After the wheel is in motion training and habit take over and the "fear" or stress have gone...basically you just get on with the task at hand.  Or as Tom Petty put it..."the wait'in is the hardest part.." although I think he was thinking about something different....but I digress.

Anyway, a couple of years ago I was having a few beers with my sister and a few of her friends after a show they had done here in Calgary.  Speaking with one of her very close friends I suggested that if he every needed to take a break from work he was free to head to our place in the mountains and just hang out in the obscurity of nature for a few days.  "I've an irrational fear of bears." he confessed to me.  "I'm not sure I could go out there if there are bears."  "Fear of bears is not irrational in the mountains outside Golden" I said.  "That trait is more of a simple self preservation instinct."  I had to give him credit for his self actualized state.

I've seen bears at my place, I've been in a position where I was glad the dog was a good sleeper and a time when I wished there was a door where there was only a cutout, but arriving a few weeks back I saw the evidence of a bear that got too close






Maybe an  animal descended from the clan of Goldilocks fallen on hard time and trying to turn the tables, or simply a delinquent with poor B&E skills...(c'mon I mean the window is right there).  Regardless, this bruin took a couple of scrapes at the cabin and decided it was in the too hard bucket and walked.

I've almost no fear of bears, I've encountered several over the past months/years, but none as bold as to dig into my house. As such, waiting for the next encounter has be somewhat nervous (especially with Paddy waddling around), but knowing the danger is just a few meters away makes things a bit better...I'm ready...at least that's what I tell myself before every shift.


P

No comments:

Post a Comment