Thursday, September 22, 2011

Milestones...not the restaurant

Major Milestones:


So I put all this insulation in the place, but it didn't seem any warmer. 




"There must be more to it." I thought....Then I read the instructions.  Oooh..




So another progressive weekend in Golden.  A few major milestones hit:
  
1. Pulled another U-Haul load   out.  As you can see lots of insulation in this load.  A little over 1000 square feet of R40.  Weighs about 1000lbs, basically a pound a foot, or 50lbs a bag.  21 bags in all.  Bags are awkward to lug around.  Not the 1st one, but 15-16 trips up the stairs and it gets a bit fatiguing.

2. We got door locks now.  Not that the place is really hard to break into out in the middle of nowhere, but if someone does go   in we can tell.  I went with the combination lock since we have a   bad habit of continually having to cut keys we arbitrarily distribute to friends and neighbours.    It's way easier to send people a code if folks want to use the place.

  

3. Got the final 2 basement windows in.  Not that this was a big  chore, but taking away 12 square feet of openness and eliminating the draft that goes with it makes a huge difference on the ability for the  place to retain heat.  It's still pretty cool in there right now....  need to spread out the insulation a bit more before it gets really liveable.

4. And most importantly, I went for a run.  While this may seem to be the most trivial of what I've listed as major milestones, it is, for me, by far the most important.  After roughly 4 months of driving back and forth over the highway, sleeping in a tent pitched in the living  room, dealing with rain, construction delays, scaffolding, digging,  chopping, raking, framing, plumbing, wiring, cutting, pulling, lifting, climbing, staining,  and generally seriously   blitzing construction there for the past 6 weeks, I've finally gotten to a point where I can take a couple of hours and go do something else.  It marks the turn in process where I start to move off the "100% work" aspect of spending   time there.  Don't get me wrong, there is still about 2 years of work to do, but since getting the place heated and more or less sealed up for the winter, the sense of urgency is beginning to fade.  I'm thinking the next major milestone in this arena will be my first mountain bike ride.  If things go well I'm targeting sometime in October.
     
  Watch for these upcoming milestones in our next episode:
    1.       Deck soffit finished
    2.       Insulation completed
    3.       Outside staining finished.
    4.       Maybe a roof on the mudroom


Cheers
Peter

1 comment:

  1. The place looks absolutely amazing Pete... I can't wait to see it in person. Glad you were finally able to get a run in. Hopefully the balance of work/play in Golden slowly starts to move from 100/0 to something more reasonable!

    ReplyDelete